How to uninstall a Word add-in from DocTools
This article is for you if you need to uninstall a Word add-in from DocTools on a single or a few computers.
TIPS – quick guide
No matter whether you are going to install, update or uninstall a DocTools Word Add-In, it takes only a minute or two – all is done following the same principles. To put it briefly, you only need to:
- Prevent files from being blocked: In File Explorer, right-click the delivered zip file > select Properties > turn ON the Unblock check box (if found) > click OK.
- Unzip: In File Explorer, unzip the delivered zip file (i.e. extract the files from the zip file).
TIP: You can right-click the zip file and select Extract All to unzip the file.
- Open installation document: Open the DocTools InstallationManager document from the unzipped folder. If a Microsoft Word Security Notice is shown, click Enable macros.
- Double-click the relevant button in the document.
Instructions are always included with the delivery of an add-in.
In case you need more information about how to uninstall a Word add-in from DocTools, follow the instructions below.
If you have installed a Word add-in from DocTools and want to remove its functionality from Word, you must uninstall the add-in. Follow the instructions below.
How to uninstall using DocTools InstallationManager
IMPORTANT if you are using Word 2007: This method does not work with Word 2007. If you are using Word 2007, follow the instructions for manual uninstall above.
If a document named DocTools InstallationManager.docm was originally included with your add-in(s), you can use that document to handle both installation, updating and uninstallation. Alternatively, you can uninstall the add-in(s) manually as described below. To uninstall a DocTools Add-In:
- Find and open the document DocTools InstallationManager.docm in the unzipped folder you saved on your PC when you installed the DocTools Add-In.
- In the document DocTools InstallationManager.docm, double-click the button with the text: Double-click here to UNINSTALL DocTools Add-Ins – see the Figure 1 below.
This removes all related files/folders from your Word STARTUP folder.
How to manually uninstall an add-in from DocTools
All you have to do is to remove the file(s) you copied to the Word STARTUP folder during the installation. Follow the steps below. The term DocTools Add-in is used below. In practice, the add-in you are going to uninstall will have a specific name and the file extension will be .dot or .dotm.
- Exit Word if the program is running.
- Open a File Explorer window, browse to the Word STARTUP folder.
What to do if you don't know where to find the Microsoft Word STARTUP folder See How to find the Microsoft Word Startup folder (opens in a new tab or window).
What to do if you cannot see the STARTUP folder See How to make hidden files and folders visible (opens in a new tab or window).
- Delete the DocTools Add-in file(s) you want to uninstall.
The uninstallation is now finished. The tools and functionality of the add-in(s) you deleted from the Word STARTUP folder will no longer be available.
Manage comments in Word fast and easy – auto-number, review, extract comments, etc.
Simplify and speed up the management of cross-references even in your most complex documents
Manage and repeat data in Word fast and easy with custom document properties and DocProperty fields
Extract insertions, deletions and comments from any Word document, incl. context and headings
Apply any highlight color or remove highlight in Word with a single click – customizable shortcuts
Browse pages, sections, headings, tables, graphics, etc. and find text in Word with a single click
Check safety-critical procedure documents for human factor issues in minutes – improve quality and help prevent errors
Create screen tips in Word fast and easy – with up to 2040 characters